Thursday, May 15, 2008

BBQ on the Balcony


As the weather begins to warm up in Warsaw, my Kansan blood does too. I begin to think about the smell of barbecues and the wonderful tastes of smoked ribs and chicken. Some may argue the best barbecuers are from the south or the southeast but the Midwestern taste of dry-rubbed BBQ'n is hard to beat. Barbecue gained popularity in Kansas City in the 1920s and hasn't slowed down since. The secret to Kansas City-style barbecue is that it's slow smoked for up to 18 hours, usually over hickory. One of my favorite places to eat great slow-smoked ribs is in a small town of about 500 people about 70 miles outside of KC called Williamsburg. This town is home to Guy & Mae's Tavern. I have driven 3 hours to get there and taste their lovely ribs served on foil and newspaper. It's the old-fashioned way of cooking. They use the same smoker and recipe since the 1930's.

Now the reason for this trip down memory lane is I love to BBQ. In college my roommates and I would cookout everyday. Even in the snow. Pour out the charcoal and light it up. I hate to use gas. I love the taste of charcoal with some mesquite soaked in a mix of Bourbon and water. It is hard to beat the taste. Every weekend in Warsaw, if I am in town, I have a gathering of friends at my place for some good Kansas cooking. I try to find the best cuts of meat I can in Warsaw and get them prepared for a great grill. I used the same grill for about 4 years now. It is a big iron grill with lots of flavor on it. I clean the grill before and after every cooking with a fresh onion. The onion puts the right amount of oil and flavors the on the grill to ensure great taste.
This Sunday I had several visitors. The party was in honor my good friend Karim, who is about to head out for a tour in Afghanistan. He is a Royal Marine and has been working in Poland for a few years. I decided it would be good to send him off with a nice party and good food. Cause the chances of him getting some good BBQ in the hills and caves of Afghanistan is not good. Plus he'd be eating GOAT. A lot of friends showed up and we sent him off. So here are just a few pics from the night. Enjoy. Some of the guest chomping down some grub. The cook, me and the other Kansan, Tim.

No comments: